Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blog Prompt (4)

1) To what extent do you agree with the issues that the student has raised here? Point out some issues of agreement and possible contention.

To be honest, before I read this article, I have been thinking and pondering about this topic for a really long time. And I really do feel the same way as Janelle.

"Maybe I don’t know exactly what type of education system I want, but I know one thing: I want a system where I’m not a product on a factory line, but a real human with an inquisitive mind, always taught to ask and wonder. Memorizing is indeed the fastest way out. Fastest way to good grades, the fastest way out of poverty, the fastest way to a good job and a good salary and a good life. The fastest way to a First World Country. But is it really the best way to educate?"

This was the sentence which I always wanted to express from the bottom of my heart but did not know how to put it in the right way.

Are we all products of this factory line Singapore has created? Personally, ever since Secondary 2 started, I have been rushing assignments, doing work all the time and stuff like that. But it has come to a point a few months back when I asked myself, what exactly am I rushing for? Unsurprisingly, I could not answer myself and I find it rather saddening. For all my life I have been rushing so much and yet I am unsure of why I am doing this for and just for a moment, it all seems so meaningless. I am just caught in this Singaporean life, where everyone rushes to get a good grade, a good job and undeniably, a good life. Janelle has put my point across in an excellent way.

For all the things we are rushing for, are we really being educated?

As mentioned in his letter as well, when we are met with problems, is our only solution regurgitating facts? Or are we really able to solve the problem with practical manners?

Ever since I pondered over this topic, I have come to realise that school really only teaches us how to get an A1. The true essence of education is being disregarded, students mindset of education are horribly distorted in my opinion. It really seems to me that students no longer learn for the sake of learning anymore, instead, they learn to score A1 instead.

And pardon me, but I am truly disgusted.

Isn't education suppose to be learning things purely because we yearn to gain knowledge? Learning things that we love and want to know more about? Where exactly is the innocence and the sincerity to just seek for knowledge purely without any intentions?

Everyday I see people raising their hands to ask questions, but what really just make me frustrated is they raise their hands not with the main intention of clarifying doubts, but with the intention of scoring Oral Participation points. Well, I cant deny that there are people who really want to clarify their doubts, but the main bulk of my class seems only to be concerned with the OP points. As such, repetitive questions are ask by students, with them hoping to get extra points.

However, despite saying so, I cant agree entirely with her. Indeed, this problem we face right now is caused by the government, but I feel that it is not entirely the government's responsibility to change this. This is also caused by our people themselves, the intent to strive for a comfortable life, the pleasures of life, has changed us, entirely. I believe in order to change this situation, everyone, and I really mean everyone must have the will to change. The change of the government is simply not enough. Every person counts, and when everyone have the same determination, that is when change really begin.


2) Examine her tone and attitude in this letter. Do you think it’s a well-crafted letter with the appropriate tone?

Although I agree with this letter to a large extent, I feel that the tone and attitude of this letter could be taken note of. I believe terms like "Sir" and "Please" should be used when appropriate, however, this letter does not exactly take note of the mannerism involved in writing a letter to a minister. Instead, terms like "Minister", instead of "Sir" are used to address the education minister himself and it inevitably suggests a little rudeness on his part.

However, she does take note of thanking the minster for reading her letter and does not use any rude terms which suggest anything wrong.

3) If you should write a letter to Minister of Education, what are some issues you would raise? Remember- your intention is to make the system better for society’s betterment via CONSTRUCTIVE ideas.

As mentioned above in the first question, it really seems to me that school no longer teach the students to gain knowledge sincerely, but rather, school teaches us how to score A1 instead. Isn't education suppose to be learning things purely because we yearn to gain knowledge? Learning things that we love and want to know more about? Where exactly is the innocence and the sincerity to just seek for knowledge purely without any intentions?

This is basically the main issues I am concerned with because all the other issues mainly arise from this mentality students have.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Do you wonder if lacklustre SIngaporean males without drive and determination in their live become unattractive and thus the fertility rate is dropping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to voicing out your thoughts. Free speech galore. I do not like the stress culture in Hwa Chong, where we are like specimen they are trying to purge results from. It is true many people do CIP to score hours, raise hands in class to score points. THat's why sometimes classmates can betray you, not because its in their nature to, though it may be, but its because they have to consider their own results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you said Jack, the education system has created a sense of individualism in the students. Everything is about results, results and more results. Why? Because we are on a crash-course to success in life and in getting a good job. Many other things in school are done for the portfolio instead of one's passion for the job or position.

    I believe that the use of 'minister' in the letter to address Mr Heng is alright and appropriate. However, like you said, the use of sir and please would be more pleasing to the eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you on the point about students now of days being more focused on scoring well than actually learning and the education system is in fact encouraging such an outlook on schooling. Tests and exams should be used to check how much a student understands through his learning journey, however, students are actually learning how to just score well in tests. There is no more passion in learning. Instead it has been replaced with mindless and dull memorization of information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that students nowadays are becoming more and more focused with scoring well, I believe that it is the only thing that a student can do now. Why waste your time now on dwelling over the fact that factual memorisation can earn you an A1, when you could be scoring good marks and on the path to becoming successful? Something for you to ponder on: Why don't you look factual memorisation at a different point of view? Why can't you say that factual memorisation is a test of who wants it more, who is more persistent, who is the best?
    Please visit my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the education system now is more focused on getting that A1 in the that report book than actually learning. The education system does not really teach us how to be successful in life. All it does is teach us how to be good "muggers" that memorizes information well. Everyone says the world is changing, but the education system is not changing with it, the only difference being the topics tested. I once read that current education systems make students become good employees, instead of good bosses, and thinking from that point of view, i realise that he is right. The education system has to be reviewed, and the dull memorization needs to me omitted

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with WeiYang that the education system is more focused on A1 than actual learning. The world is changing and the education system must change as well to suit it. What is the point of memorising without knowing how to apply. Wei Yang also bring up a point about how students become good employees instead of good boss which I agree. I do not know whether it is just Singapore or the whole of Asia but look at the Western education system. It is better compared to ours. It is able to create CEOs of companies instead of just being employees. That is the difference and that is the reason why Singapore hardly have any creative or innovative companies. The education system made it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you guys on this issue. Students nowadays are more driven by the prospect of attaining A1s rather than actually acquiring more knowledge. Frankly speaking, anything concerning grades are what drives students, as they fear the consequences of getting bad results. Besides the Oral Participation system, we can also look at the ACE system. I am quite sure that if ACE were not counted in our grades, very few students would even bother doing it. This is the major flaw in the education system.

    Stanford Kong 2O309

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it is saddening to know the ugly side of our education system. However my opinion is that Singapore is currently in a transitional period in between "being educated so that you can earn money and get a good job next time" to a "being educated such that we are a more knowledgeable person, so that we can remain competitive in the global stage, and at the same time not neglecting the joy of what you are doing". We can say that we are the generation that would suffer, and are the guinea pigs of this mega trial and error. However, efforts like projects day and sabbatical are present, which we can explore our likes and talents. Although these efforts are at its infancy, it is still progress. Furthermore the thing that is hindering this progress is the mentality of the students themselves being too result oriented too. So unless both sides, the educator and the educated can cooperate, we would not have a better education system.

    ReplyDelete